The dental hygienist is a specially trained member of our dental team who provides some of the most effective internationally recognised gum therapies and dental education to alleviate and prevent one of the most frequent causes of tooth loss today. This is provided “in-house” under the guidance of your dentist.
In this age of increasing technological advances, we are all looking for care that is up to date with excellent service from our dental health provider. Indeed these are part of our commitment and vision at The Smile Company.
Previously a dentist might have provided a “cleaning” as part of your treatment. Although superficially this may seem to be a similar service to that of a hygienist, it is indeed quite different.
We have a specially trained health care professional, called a dental hygienist. The hygienist provides individualised therapies designed to help you keep your gums healthy and your teeth for life. Your gum tissues are an extremely important area to keep healthy.
Gums make up the framework for smiles and as we are in the business of creating and maintaining great smiles, we emphasise the necessity of gum maintenance in order to preserve the durability and beauty of your smile.
A dental hygienist is also a specialist in the field of preventing tooth decay and periodontal disease, essentially the chief of maintenance in our dental world.
There is so much more to a gum therapy than simply “cleaning” the teeth.
Our dental hygienist will:
- Provide knowledge to enable you to recognise changes in your own gum health and to have the best methods of home care.
- Remove all the unwanted plaque and calculus (tartar) and rough overhanging filling edges from the tooth and root surfaces.
- Record your tissue status by accurately measuring the degree of the gum tissue attachment and bone loss around each tooth, so we can compare from visit to visit and see how well you are doing.
- Provide you with smooth polished surfaces that feel good, look better and are easier to maintain.
- Provide you with a programme to enhance ongoing dental health.
We are committed to helping you improve your dental health status. Returning for reviews and re-care maintenance also requires your commitment. You are part of our team, and gum health definitely requires continuing effort from the whole team.
We look forward to seeing you in our practice.